Thurs., July 12
- P.E.O. Annual Summer Luncheon at the Cullasaja Club, 1371 Cullasaja Club Drive. Hosted by Chapter BJ of Chashiers/Highlands. Registration is from 11:30 a.m. to noon. Luncheon is at 12:30 p.m. Cost is $28.25 per person. Silent auction between 11:30 a.m. and 12:15 p.m. For more information or to make a reservation, call Mary Anny Ray at 828-526-8251.
- Free Zahner Lecture Series “The Endangered Rock Gnome Lichen.” At Nature Center on Horse Cove Road at 6 p.m.
- Trunk Shows at Acorns on Main Street from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Ellen Brook Fashion and Monica Rich Kosann Jewelry.
- At Acorn’s on Main Street. Vitamin Clothing from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- At Acorn’s on S. 4th Street Carolyn Goldsmith Art from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Sun., July 15
- At HUMC Open House from 1-3 p.m. Come tour the new facility and explore its possibilities for our community and you. Faith & Fellowship Center is on South 3rd Street.
Wed., July 18
- Free Summer Interlude at Episcopal Church at 2 p.m. Angela Massey, Flutist. John Wickey, Harpist Sponsored by Highlands-Cashiers Chamber Music Festival.
Thurs., July 19
- Join Thomas Duncan, MD, as he leads a panel discussion on the topic of Advanced Care Planning. The program will be held on Thursdayat 5:30 p.m. in the Jane Woodruff Clinic, Suite 103. Time will be available for questions. The option to complete advanced directive forms will be provided and a notary will be present (state-issued photo ID required). This free event is part of Highlands-Cashiers Hospital’s Evening with the Docs series. Reserve your space today. Light refreshments will be provided. The event is limited to 50 attendees. RSVP to Brittany Dryman at 828-526-1345.
- Free Zahner Lecture Series “Planting in a Post-Wild World.” At Nature Center on Horse Cove Road at 6 p.m.
Friday, July 20
- At The Bascom, Mountains in Bloom Garden Tour – Friday, July 20. This year the tour will feature amazing gardens in and around the Highlands Country Club, many never before seen. Tickets are $100 and can be purchased on-line at www.thebascom.org.
- The Johnny Webb Band will perform at Friday Night Live from 6-8 p.m. at Town Square on Main Street in Highlands.
- Professor Whizzpop is making his annual visit to Hudson Library on Friday July 20 at 2:30 p.m. The Professor’s show this year is a Musical Magical Tour! As always, his humor and magic will delight kids and is sure to be a big hit this library season. Come early to be sure of a good seat. For more information or to request an accommodation, please call the library at 828-526-3031. Hudson Library, 554 Main Street in Highlands, is open 10:00 a.m.-5:30 p.m. Tuesday through Friday and 10:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m. on Saturday.
Fri. & Sat., July 20-21
- At Jannine Bean Custom Jewelry, Open House and Gem Show 10 a. m. to 4:30p.m. For more info call 828-526-5858.
- At Acorn’s on Main Street from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Mark Garland Studio Clothing.
Sunday, July 22
- The Bascom Gala: Sunday is sure to be the event of the season! Don’t’ miss it. For more information on these events please visit www.thebascom.orgor call Lin Sheffield at 828-787-2866.
Wed., July 25
- Free Summer Interlude at Presbyterian Church 2 p.m. Trey Clegg Chamber Singers. Conducted by Trey Clegg. Sponsored by Highlands-Cashiers Chamber Music Festival.
Thurs., July 26
- Free Zahner Lecture Series “Timber Rattlesnakes on the Highlands Plateau.” At Nature Center on Horse Cove Road at 6 p.m.
Sat., July 28
- Come enjoy breakfast at the Historic Scaly Mountain School House while supporting the work of the Scaly Mountain Women’s Club. Their primary cause is scholarships for local area college students. On the menu are pancakes – plain and blueberry – sausage, orange juice and coffee. The Scaly Mountain School House is at 41 Buck Knob Road. $6 for13 and up, $4 for 5-12 and under 5 is free. No family pays more than $25.
Wed, Aug. 1
- Free Summer Interlude at Episcopal Church at 2 p.m. Tyrone Jackson, Jazz Pianist. Sponsored by Highlands-Cashiers Chamber Music Festival.
Thurs., Aug. 2
- Free Zahner Lecture Series “Herpetological Mysteries.” At Nature Center on Horse Cove Road at 6pm.
Sat., Aug. 4
- HF&R Open House at the department on Oak Street, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Free hot dog lunch and fire truck rides. Donations accepted.
Sun. Aug. 5
- Rise & Shine Event at The Bascom for the Highlands Community Fund. Tickets are $100. Cocktails, supper and dancing. Call 828-526-2336 or 404-432-600.
Wed., Aug. 8
- Free Summer Interlude at Presbyterian Church 2 p.m. Summer & Bray of Mountain Faith Band. Sponsored by Highlands-Cashiers Chamber Music Festival.
Thurs., Aug. 9
- Free Zahner Lecture Series “The Plight of the Hemlock.” At Nature Center on Horse Cove Road at 6 p.m..
Wed., Aug. 15
- Free Summer Interlude at Episcopal Church at 2 p.m. Samuele Parrini, violinist. Sponsored by Highlands-Cashiers Chamber Music Festival.
Thurs., Aug., 16
- Free Zahner Lecture Series “100 Years of Bird Conservation.” At Nature Center on Horse Cove Road at 6pm.
Wed., Aug. 22
- Free Summer Interlude at Presbyterian Church at 2 p.m. Georgia State University Vocal Concert. W. Dwight Coleman, Artistic Director. Sponsored by Highlands-Cashiers Chamber Music Festival.
Thurs., Aug. 23
- Free Zahner Lecture Series “Big Ideas and Lessons for Conservation Biology.” At Nature Center on Horse Cove Road at 6pm.
Sat. & Sun, Aug. 25 & 26
- Highlands Village Square Art & Craft Show-10 a.m. to 5 p.m. at Kelsey-Hutchinson Founders Park on Pine Street downtown. High quality fine art, folk art and regionally made crafts. Sponsored by Highlands Rotary Mountaintop, who will also be serving lunch. Free admission. (828) 787-2021 for info.
Wed., Aug. 29
- Free Summer Interlude at Episcopal Church at 2 p.m. Robert Henry, Pianist. Sponsored by Highlands-Cashiers Chamber Music Festival
Thurs., Aug. 30
- Free Zahner Lecture Series “The Mushroom Matrix.” At Nature Center on Horse Cove Road at 6 p.m.
Thurs., Sept. 6
- Free Zahner Lecture Series “Cherokee Culture.” At Nature Center on Horse Cove Road at 6 p.m.
Thurs., Sept. 13
- Free Zahner Lecture Series “Poetry and the Nonhuman.” At Nature Center on Horse Cove Road at 6 p.m.
- Let’s fill the brick walkway of the Highlands Veterans Memorial Garden by Veterans Day, Nov. 11, 2018. Bricks are $50 for 1, $40 for the second one. Contract for the purchase form is through Bill Edwards at Edwa7353@bellsouth.net404-915-1344. Forms are also available for pickup and return at Town Hall. Sept. 1, 2018 is the deadline for placement by Nov. 11.
- Summer Movies at the Playhouse: Sundays at 5:30 and 8 p.m., Mondays and Tuesdays at 2, 5 and 8 p.m.
- Shortoff Baptist Church non-denominational Men’s Meeting at 7 p.m.
- At the Rec Park, High Cardio Zumba Fitness with Certified Instructor Tiffany Austin at 5:15 p.m.
- Hip Hop classes with Tori Schmitt at 5:30-6:30 p.m. at the Rec Park.
Mon. & Thurs.
- The Joy Program at HUMC from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Includes a free lunch and a variety of programs and games. All seniors are welcome. For more info, call Tricia Smith at 828-338-8167.
Mon. & Wed.
- Gentle Yoga at the Rec park at 9:30 a.m. All levels welcome.
Mon., Wed., Fri.
- Heart Healthy Exercise Class Monday, Wednesday and Friday 8:30-9:30 a.m.
- Aerobics with Tina Rogers 8-9 a.m.
Mon., Wed., Thurs.
- Pickle Ball at the Recreation Department Gym 10:30 a.m. -1 p.m.
- FREE Community Table Dinner at the Community Bldg. at 6 p.m.
- The Humanist Discussion Group meets every Tuesday morning from 10:30-11:30 a.m. in the Meeting Room in the back of Hudson Library,
- The Highlands Writers Group, a collection of professional and talented amateur writers, meets to read, workshop, or to just share information on writing, every Tuesday, 3-5 p.m., in the downstairs board room at The Bascom, 323 Franklin Road, Highlands, NC 28741. For more information, call 828-526-3190.
- The monthly family support group for those with family members, friends, or loved ones living with the challenge of mental illness meets at 7 p.m. at Memorial United Methodist Church, 4668 Old Murphy Road, Franklin. For info call 369-7385.
2nd and 4th Tuesdays
- OccupyWNC meets at the 7 p.m. in the Sneak E. Squirrel Community Room (1314 Main St., Sylva. Visit www.occupywnc.orgor call 828-331-1524.
- The Macon County Poultry club meets to discuss topics related to raising backyard chickens. Meetings are open to the public of all ages, family friendly and educational. For more information call 828-349-2046 or 828-369-3916.
Tuesday and Thursdays
- Exercise Class with Michelle Lane at 5:15 p.m. A combination class with many different styles of exercise at Rec Park.
Wed. – Sat.
- At Highlands Inn on Main Street held in the dining room, Afternoon Tea 2-4:30 p.m. Royal Tea: $45; Classic Tea: $35. Call 828-526-9380 for more information.
- The Glenville Historical Society Museum is open every Wednesday through Saturday 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. until October 13. Church, club, school and family groups are welcome to visit the museum by appointment on any day of the week. The Museum is located at 4735 Highway 107in Glenville next to Signal Ridge Marina. A historic time line, photos, documents, artifacts and antiques tell the story of Old Glenville, building the Lake Glenville Dam and new Glenville development from the 1940s to present day. Go to www.glenvilleareahistoricalsociety.com
- Family Movies at the Hudson Library at 3:30 p.m. Call 828-526-3031 for titles.
- Recently released movies at Hudson Library at 2 p.m. Call 828-526-3031 for titles.
Wed. & Fri.
- Duplicate Bridge 12-4pm at Rec Park.
- Highlands Historical Village is open 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. through October.
Aug 2, 16, 30, Sept.13, 27, Oct. 11 & Nov. 1 and 8.
- Four Seasons Compassion for Life will be leading a grief support group at First Presbyterian Church in Highlands on alternating Thursdays 10:30-11:30 a.m. This will be a closed group due to the nature of the group unless there are special circumstances that keep an individual from coming to the first meeting. Music therapy will be used for most sessions. Dates include: Aug. 2, 16, 30, Sept. 13, 27, Oct. 11 and Nov. 1 and 8. For additional information, contact Four Seasons at 866-466-9734
- Live music in OEI’s The Wine Garden on Main Street. Zorki from 7-9 p.m.
- Storytime with Miss Deanna at Hudson Library 10:40 a.m. Open to the public.
- NAMI Support Group for individuals dealing with mental illness and the family members of individuals dealing with these challenges from 7 – 8:15 p.m. at First United Methodist Church Out Reach Center on West Main Street in Franklin Call Donita for more info (828) 526-9510.
- Hip Hop classes with Tori Schmitt at 6:30-7:30 p.m. at the Rec Park.
- Sapphire Valley Needlepoint Guild meets at the Highlands Rec Park at 10 a.m.
- Kidney Smart Classes in Franklin: from 4:30-6 p.m., Angel Medical Center, Video Conference Room, 3rd Floor, 120 Riverview St. Contact Majestic 828-369-9474
1st and 3rd Thursdays
- Indivisible Highlands, a non-partisan activist group meets weekly at the Hudson Library at 5p. For info call 770-823-0601.
- At the Hudson Library, Kids Zone LEGO Club. Intended primarily for kids in grades 1-5 p.m., LEGO Club allows creativity and STEM skills to develop together as kids enjoy making a wonderful variety of LEGO creations.
Fridays & Saturdays
- Live music at OEI’s Art’s At The Lodge on Spring Street. 5-8 p.m. Fridays Steve Wohlrab. Saturdays Zorki.
- Live Music in OEI’s Hummingbird Lounge.Maestro from 6-8 p.m. and Cy Timmons 8 p.m. to close. Fridays
- Live FREE music in Town Square on Main Street from 6-8 p.m.
- Live FREE music in K-H Founders Park on Pine Street from 6-8 p.m.
- At The Bascom, Pottery Sale in the barn from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Scrabble at Hudson Library from 1-4 p.m. Bring board if possible. All are welcome. 727-871-8298.
- The Bascom Knitters on the Terrace at The Bascom from 10 a.m. until noon or downstairs in The Bascom Library room.
- Scaly Mountain Women’s Club Pancake Breakfast 8-10:30a at the old Scaly Mtn. School at Buck Knob and NC 106.
- Live Music in OEI’s Hummingbird Lounge 8 p.m. to close with Paul Jones.
Through Sat., July 14
- At Highlands Playhouse, Guys and Dolls. Call 828-526-2695 for tickets.