Summit Charter School’s new athletic facility, the Summit Center, is almost complete and includes art and music/theater rooms, a performance area, four locker rooms (two visiting), a concession area, an elevator, and an expansive gymnasium.
Pictured below is the new gymnasium at the Summit Center. Photos courtesy of Summit Charter School:
“It looks incredible,” said Summit Interim Director Billy Leonard. “It’s the Cadillac of gymnasiums and it’s going to be such an amazing space. We can do so much here, and we also want to open it up for community events.”
Summit Middle School girls Head Coach and former Summit student Kaylee O’Dwyer said students needed a place for physical education classes and to play basketball. She said creating a space on campus to call the students’ own instills a sense of pride.
“Having a place for the team to go that’s ours will build a culture they can be proud to be a part of,” said O’Dwyer. “I think it’s beautiful.”
Summit Assistant Coach Jeremy Robinson said he’s looking forward to ways to best utilize the new facility.
“We’re going to try and wear this new gym out, maybe get some summer camps going,” said Robinson. “It’s going to be great.”
Construction began on the Summit Center in the summer of 2018 and Leonard said he hopes the new facility will be up and running in the coming weeks.
Basic construction timeline:
Summit Center to Open Soon: January 2019 Construction Update
- Completed: Gym floor! Sidewalks, concession stand, elevator, art room sink installation, interior finishes
- In Progress: Scoreboards, locker rooms
- What’s Next: Bleachers, landscaping and all the little parts and pieces to finish the project!
Achieving the Vision: December 2018 Construction Update
The Summit Center—the school’s first gymnasium and auditorium—is nearing completion! In addition to serving student athletes with a fully-equipped gym, the building will include music and art education classrooms. Some of the latest construction updates include:
- Completed: Basketball goal installations, septic system upgrades, drywall, window and doors, HVAC system, power, downspouts and storm drains
- In Progress: Interior finishes, sidewalks
- What’s Next: Gym floor installation, parking lot and landscaping!
Building Our Future: September 2018 Construction Update
Since the groundbreaking this spring, Summit has made rapid progress on the construction of Summit Center—the school’s first gymnasium and auditorium. In addition to serving student athletes with a fully-equipped gym, the 18,656 square foot building will include state-of-the-art classrooms for music and art education. Some of the exciting construction updates include:
- Completed: Foundation phase, metal erection, exterior walls, roofing, mechanical rough ins
- In Progress: Septic system upgrades are taking place with doors andwindows arriving any day. Insulation and sheetrock starting Monday, Oct. 1st.
- What’s Next: Interior finishes to begin shortly!
Article and photos by Brian O’Shea
Follow us on Instagram: @plateaudailynews
Like us on Facebook HERE