Kindergarten Registration is a special time for both parents and students. On Tuesday, March 12, 2019, Kindergarten registration for the 2019-2020 school year will begin, for parents, at 10 a.m. in the school’s media center. Children who reach the age of 5 on or before August 31, 2019 are eligible for admission into the Class of 2032.
To make the transition from preschool to Kindergarten as fun and positive as possible, we would like to offer the new students a taste of great things to come by providing transportation to and from Highlands School for registration. Beginning at 10:30 a.m. on Tuesday, March 12, a Macon County school bus will pick up eligible students from Highlands United Methodist Church and the Highlands Community Child Developments Center and bring them to school to meet their parents. Any children that are not currently enrolled at either learning facility may meet at the Highlands Community Child Development Center, located at 89 Church St., to catch the bus.
PTO volunteers will be on the bus to help with the students. Riding the school bus is an exciting experience for the students. School officials encourage parents to allow children to ride to school on the bus that day whether or not the child will ride during the school year. Please be aware that the bus will be returning students to the day care centers.
In addition to the registration documents, the following items should be presented at registration on March 12 for photocopying:
- Certificate of Immunizations (School must have within 30 days from the start of school). Students without a complete Certificate of Immunizations presented within 30 days from the start of school will be placed on administrative suspension until in compliance.
- Certified Birth Certificate (must present original, certified birth certificate. No copies or “uncertified” birth certificates will be accepted.
- Proof of Residency.
- If you are not the biological parent of the child enrolling, and/or there is a custody agreement in place, please provide any legal documents you have giving you authority to enroll the child (i.e., custody papers, name change documentation, adoption papers or educational domicile affidavits).
Registration Day schedule:
10:00 – 10:10 Parents arrive, turn in registration documents, and meet in Media Center
10:10 – 10:50 Overview and Orientation
- Brian Jetter, Principal—School Information
- Sarah Holbrooks, Assistant Principal—School Information
- Nicole Lui, Guidance Counselor
- Terry Stamey, Media Specialist—Library & Computers
- Maribeth Bader, School Nurse—Health Information
- Annette Jenkins, Administrative Assistant—Child Nutrition
- Laura Deppe, PTO President—PTO information
10:30 – 10:50 Buses Pick up Students at Pre-K’s
10:50 – 10:55 Parents meet up with children
10:55 – 11:15 Parents and children eat lunch
11:15 – 11:35 Parents and children tour school
11:35 – 11:40 Children to buses and Parents to Media Center
11:40 – 12:00 Complete registration forms and pick up goodies
PTO will provide complimentary lunch for all students and their parents in the school cafeteria as part of Kindergarten Registration. Registration packets can be picked up at Highlands School or at Highlands Community Child Development Center. Call the school office at (828) 526-2147 f