- The Bascom: Joint public reception for three new exhibitions at The Bascom from 4 – 6 p.m. (complimentary drinks and hors d’oeuvres) Exhibitions include George Masa: Iconic Vistas Of Highlands, in the Loft Gallery; Ebb and Flow, Bloom and Fade: Dynamic Rhythms From Hambidge Fellows, in the Bunzl Gallery; and Closing Exhibition by Artist In Residence, Dylan Lytle, in the Education Gallery on the Trail Level. All exhibitions in April are open Mon.-Sat. from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., Sunday Noon – 5 p.m., admission to exhibitions at The Bascom are free.
- PAC: The Highlands Performing Arts Center will screen the National Theatre of London’s production of All About Eve by Joseph L Mankiewicz, adapted and directed for the stage by Ivo van Hove on Saturday, at 1 p.m. on April 13. Starring Gillian Anderson (X-Files, NT Live: A Streetcar Named Desire) and Lily James (Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again.) All About Eve tells the story of Margo Channing. Legend. True star of the theatre. The spotlight is hers, always has been. But now there’s Eve. Her biggest fan young, beautiful Eve. The golden girl, the girl next door. But you know all about Eve…don’t you…? Lifting the curtain on a world of jealousy and ambition, this new production, from one of the world’s most innovative theatre directors, Ivo van Hove, asks why our fascination with celebrity, youth and identity never seems to get old. All About Eve is adapted by Ivo van Hove from the 1950 Twentieth Century Fox film by Joseph L Mankiewicz and the play The Wisdom of Eve by Mary Orr. Tickets are available HERE or at the door. Highlands Performing Arts Center, 507 Chestnut Street, Highlands N.C.
- HCLT: Spring is here and Highlands-Cashiers Land Trust is gearing up for a very full season of conserving our most treasured places! Because we believe an educated constituency makes for better stewards of our lands, an important part of our mission is education. That means lots of fun adventures are available for you this season. Our next one is just around the corner and you are invited to the official Grand Opening of the Nodding Trillium Garden, Pittillo Family Nature Preserve – a wildflower garden trail in Cullowhee on Wednesday, April 17. Don’t miss this rare opportunity to explore this special trail with Dr. Pittillo and other experts on a FREE guided hike along the trail. Hikes will depart the trailhead at 10:30 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. and will take about an hour. This is an easy to moderate walk due to some incline on narrow forest trails. Directions can be found on HCLT’s website HERE. No reservations are required, and this will be a rain or shine event unless the weather is deemed dangerous for hiking.
- In celebration of Earth Day, there will be a Mountain-Top Meteor Shower Viewing event on Sunset Rock. Potential time of 5- 6:30 a.m. This is to hopefully see the meteor shower (April Lyrids) that occur at dawn, and watch the sunrise over Horsecove valley. Participants will have to register with HCLT in advance. More details coming soon.
- Small Business Success Series: Highlands Chamber of Commerce & Southwestern Community College Business Center present the next Small Business Success Series will be held at 8:30 – 10 a.m. on March 27 at the Highlands Civic Center. Classes are FREE. Succession Planning for Your Biz increases the availability of experienced and capable employees that are prepared to assume key leadership roles as they become available in your business. To register, call the Chamber at 828-526-2112 or email us.
- 3 River Fly Fishing Festival: Registration is now open for the 9th AnnualThree River Fly Fishing Festival April 25-27 in Highlands, N.C.!We are thrilled to kick off another tournament and are also excited to unveil the new Three River logo designed by William Lamb. As always, this fishing competition is open to men and women of all skill levels with more than 2,200 miles of public water available to fish. Each team will fish one native, one hatchery-supported and one delayed-harvest stream.
Entry is $500 per team – or $450 for teams who register before February 28. This fee includes the opening night reception on Thursday at beautiful Lullwater House, the Friday happy hour check-in, the closing night dinner on Saturday, a gift bag full of great swag and the opportunity to win fantastic prizes.
And the best part is, every dollar raised benefits the Town of Highlands Scholarship Fund!
Contact Hilary Wilkes at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information, or to register your team.