As we enter summer here in Highlands, Cashiers and the surrounding communities, our area’s population typically skyrockets, as does the need for Highlands-Cashiers Hospital’s services. I’d like to welcome those who return year after year and update all community members on our services and programs.
The last several months saw the hospital become a part of HCA Healthcare. Through it all, we continue to provide the community with the same level of excellent care as always, without interruption.
A time of change is also an opportunity for education, and I want to reintroduce you to all we have to offer in the way of care and services.
Did you know…
- That you don’t have to go to another facility if you need a colonoscopy? We offer this and many other preventive services, such as mammograms and bone density screenings, right here at HCH.
- That if you are having problems falling asleep, staying asleep and getting high quality rest, we offer ambulatory sleep screenings? This means that you can come to the hospital, get fitted with wearable sensors that monitor your rest and go through the assessment in the comfort of your own home. This screening study can determine if a more comprehensive, inpatient study is needed to diagnose and treat your sleep disorder.
- That we are here for you if you experience symptoms of a serious health issue such as stroke or heart attack? Our emergency department (ED) team uses the same clinical protocols as the team at Mission Hospital, and our emergency physicians are able to diagnose and treat you, consult with Mission Health specialists and, if necessary, transport you to a higher level of care.
- That our brand new, state-of-the-art helipad is now open? It is immediately adjacent to our emergency department and allows for even more efficient emergency care, especially when patients need to be transported off the mountain to Mission Hospital or another facility.
- That we employ a certified lymphedema specialist in our Rehabilitation Services department? Lymphedema is a condition where pain and swelling occur due to fluid retention after the surgical removal of lymph nodes. It is an especially common condition for those who have had mastectomies for breast cancer. We are the only member hospital in the health system to offer these important services.
- That your HCH provider can connect to providers at Mission Hospital through telemedicine – a real-time consultation that happens between a patient and the physician at a distant site through use of interactive telecommunication equipment?
- That in partnership with our sister Mission Health hospitals, we offer rotating cardiology, orthopedics, urology and vein clinics to our community each month?
- That HCH is a gateway to some of the best care in the nation? Mission Health has repeatedly been ranked as one of the nation’s Top 15 Health Systems by IBM Watson Health™. This ranking is based on an objective review of operational and clinical outcome data such as complication rates.
In the midst of change – both anticipated and unforeseen – HCH stands ready to continue serving our patients and making our community stronger and healthier.
Jacqueline Medland, PhD, RN, is Chief Executive Officer and Chief Nursing Officer of Highlands-Cashiers Hospital. Jackie has enjoyed a career as a healthcare leader for over 30 years, including positions in direct patient care, advanced practice nursing, nursing management and hospital administration.