Highlands Recreation Department exercise facilities in the Community Building are once again open during regular hours of operation. This includes the cardio/weight machine room, the free weight room, the stage, and the gymnasium.
The exercise areas were reopened on Tuesday and Highlands Rec Director Lester Norris said they wanted to wait until after the busy Labor Day weekend.
“We figured we’d be really crowded over the weekend, so we let the crowds head out before opening up,” said Norris. “And we wanted all of the staff there to see how things would go. Make sure everyone knows how to sign people in, register, and properly disinfect.”
Before entering the building, visitors must have their temperature taken and acknowledge they have no symptoms of COVID-19. Norris said masks must be worn when moving about the building but can be removed while exercising.
- 24-hour access is no longer available.
- A piece of equipment must separate two people exercising in the cardio and weight rooms.
- Disinfect a piece of equipment before and after using it. Wipes and hand sanitizer are located throughout the facility.
- Mask off when begin workout, mask back on after workout.
- Max number of people in the gym is 25.
- Rec Park cannot lend out any equipment for the gym, bring your own.
- Max number of people in the pool is 30.
Norris facilities are open at 30% of fire capacity. He added that the 24-hour access was stopped because staff need to monitor visitors to make sure everyone is disinfecting properly.