With an eye on the future and supporting healthcare throughout the Western North Carolina region, Mission Health on Friday celebrated the groundbreaking for its 82,500 square foot Angel Medical Center.
“This construction project builds on and supports the vision for healthcare in our communities. A new facility here in Franklin will allow us to provide current patient care services while focusing on the health of the community for years to come,” said Karen Gorby, CEO of Angel Medical Center, during remarks at the ceremony.
Located at One Center Court, Franklin, the new 30-bed facility will be 1.5 miles from the current facility. The new hospital will have 3 operating rooms, 1 endoscopy suite, and a 17-bed ER that will include 3 dedicated behavioral health beds.
“We are proud to be here to celebrate a true investment in rural healthcare and in the Franklin community,” said Greg Lowe, President, HCA Healthcare North Carolina Division, who also spoke at the event.
This new 68-million-dollar state-of-the-art healthcare facility offers the most up-to-date clinical services and integrates the latest wireless technology available. It will provide larger rooms, better lighting and healing views, and the capacity to allow for the latest technologies to be incorporated into the hospital.
Among community members in attendance were Jack Horton and Dinah Mashburn, Franklin Town Council Members; Warren Cabe and Gary Shields, Macon County Commission Members; Justin Setser, Franklin Town Planner; Kevin Corbin, NC State Senator; Karl Gillespie, NC State Representative District 120; and Chief Bill Harrell, Franklin Police.
Angel Medical Center engaged local businesses for all aspects of the event including: the tent, chairs, flowers, and food.
The new Angel Medical Center is scheduled to open in the fall of 2022.
Pictured at the top of the article from left are Becky Dahl, Med Surg ICU Patient Care Technician; Peggy Ramey Operating Room RN; Leslie Vanhook, Radiology, David Franks, MD, Hospitalist and Chief of Staff; Tim Layman, Manager of Clinical Operations; Karen Gorby, CEO; Johnny Mira-Knipple, Board Chair.
New Facility Fact Sheet
- The new Angel Medical Center will be located at One Center Court, Franklin, NC.
- The new facility will be located approximately 1.5 miles from the current facility.
- The square footage of the new facility is approximately 82,500.
- The new facility will have:
- 3 operating rooms
- 1 endoscopy suite
- A 17-bed emergency department
- The new facility will have a 30-bed capacity inpatient unit with 5 acuity adaptable beds, 20 medical surgical beds, and 5 observation beds.
- There will be more than 294 miles of electrical wire installed in the new building, which is approximately the distance from Franklin, NC, to Nashville, TN.
- The power required for the new building could run 200 homes.
- Electricity will travel around the building at more than 670miles per hour.
- The conduit system in the building could hold enough water to fill 41 kids’ pools, around 6,611 gallons.
- There will be 50,000 lbs. of copper installed within the new hospital.
- The new facility will have 479 tons of structural steel.
- The new hospital will have 59,000 sqft of vinyl flooring which equates to roughly 1.35 acres of flooring.
- The new Angel Medical Center will have of 65,000 linear feet of pipe, that’s higher than the hot air balloon altitude record set in 1988!
- The total weight of all the sheet metal duct work will be just under 60 tons.
Article and photo courtesy of Mission Health