Highlands Fire & Rescue responded to a call of a chimney fire in early November at Highlander Mountain House shortly after midnight. Using a ladder truck, firefighters extinguished the fire before any damage was done to the building located at 3rd and Main streets.
HFR Assistant Chief Robbie Forrester said chimney fires can spread quickly throughout a structure, so guests were asked to evacuate their rooms as a precaution.
The call was made by a Highlands Police officer who saw flames coming from the hotel’s chimney. HFR positioned trucks on either side of the hotel, including backing a ladder truck into HMH’s parking lot to access the chimney.
HFR firefighters climbed up to the roof and dropped extinguisher bags into the chimney to put out the flames. Extinguisher bags are zip lock bags filled with extinguisher powder. When dropped into a hot chimney, the heat melts the plastic and the powder is released.
The bags minimize damage as opposed to blasting a firehose down a chimney.
The chimney is part of a fireplace that HMH keeps consistently lit throughout the year. Forrester said this is a good reminder to have your chimney cleaned.
Pictured at the top of the article from left are HFR Firefighters Travis Brooks and Jason Tardo.