Gas leak at Cashiers-Glenville Rec Center

Folks were evacuated from the Cashiers-Glenville Recreation Center this morning after a strong odor of gas permeated the building. Cashiers Glenville Volunteer Fire Department responded at approx. 9 a.m. after receiving the call.

A ladder truck wa used to access the roof atop the Cashiers Glenville Recreation Center in response to a gas leak.

FD Chief Randy Dillard said he smelled one of the strongest odors of gas in his career and crews think the leak is located in the gym.

“There was a huge risk of explosion before everyone was evacuated and everything was shut off, that was good to get people out,” said Dillard. “Walking into the gym, it was the most gas I’d ever smelled in a commercial building. It was thick, definitely a main line rupture.”

Dillard added the gas company has been notified and they are on their way. Upon arrival the building was already evacuated and there were no injuries. In the meantime, crews ventilated the building and shut off the HVAC systems from the roof.

“The gas company will come in and do pressure tests and whatever they need to do to find the leak and repair it,” said Dillard.

Fire crews needed to access the roof in order to shut off the HVAC systems.

Site Manager Eric Farmer said the Rec Park facilities would be closed until further notice.

“I wasn’t there, but our staff got everyone out and made sure everything was ok and let the guys who know what they’re doing take over,” said Farmer.

This was the third call Cashiers Glenville FD received this morning. They also responded to a wreck near the Macon County line and a fallen tree over Highway 107 in Glenville.

Stay tuned as more details become available.

Article and Photos by Brian O’Shea
Follow us on Instagram: @plateaudailynews
Like us on Facebook HERE
Advertise click HERE

Leave a Reply