Community Coffee with the Mayor on Oct. 25 at the Hudson Library in Highlands.
- Community Coffee at Hudson Library: On Friday October 25 at 11 a.m. in the Hudson Library Meeting Room for the last Community Coffee of 2019 – All You Want to Know About the Highlands Fiber Optic Network with Mayor Patrick Taylor and special guests Matt Shuler, Director of MS/GIS and representatives from Altitude Broadband. Community Coffee with Mayor Taylor, a joint endeavor by Hudson Library and the Town of Highlands, is held on the last Friday of each month from February through October at Hudson Library. Every month Mayor Taylor, regularly joined by guest speakers, offers information about topics of interest to the entire Highlands community. This month’s refreshments are provided by The Mountain Retreat & Learning Center.For more information or to request an accommodation, please call the library at 828.526.3031. Hudson Library, 554 Main Street in Highlands, is open 10 a.m.-5:30 p.m. Tuesday through Friday and 10 a.m.-4 p.m. on Saturday.
Showtimes for the Foodie Film Festival at the Highlands Playhouse from Oct. 25-27.
Goblins In the Green is 5:30-7:30 p.m. on Oct. 25.
- Goblins In the Green: Make plans to celebrate a frightfully fun Halloween at Cashiers/Glenville Recreation Center in Cashiers at 355 Frank Allen Road. Goblins In the Green will take place from 5:30-7:30 p.m. Friday, Oct. 25. Dress up in your favorite silly or scary costume and come to the Rec Center. Some ghoulish guests will join the resident spiders and bats for an evening that features loads of activities for kids and their families along with music and dancing. Among the activities will be a costume contest at 7 p.m. Prizes will be awarded to the best boy and girl costume, most creative costume, best group costume as well as the best owner and pet coordinating costume. Goblins In the Green is organized and presented by The Village Green, Jackson County Parks and Recreation Department and Boys and Girls Club of the Plateau. Many area merchants are support this event. Goblins In the Green is a free, community wide event for residents and visitors to the Highlands-Cashiers Plateau.
- Youth Planting: Area Youth Planting for Spring in The Village Green is participating in the Cashiers Area Chamber of Commerce “Daffodil Streetscape Initiative.” Members of the Boys and Girls Club of the Plateau will plant 200 yellow Carlton Daffodil bulbs at 4 p.m. Monday, Oct. 28 in the park at the crossroads. The goal of this Chamber project is to create a reoccurring visual impact throughout Cashiers in early Spring. In the event of bad weather, a rain date has been set for the same time on Wednesday, October 30.
Oct. 31 Halloween
Celebrate Halloween on Main Street in downtown Highlands.
- All Hallows Eve-Downtown Highlands Halloween Fest: Costumes, trick or treating, music, dancing; come to downtown Highlands on Main Street from 6-8 p.m. for Halloween fun on Oct. 31.
Halloween at the Hudson Library in Highlands.
- Halloween at Hudson Library: Celebrate Halloween at the Hudson Library with a Kids Zone Halloween Party! Thursday October 31 from 3:30-5 p.m., kids can enjoy a variety of Halloween-themed activities. Designed for kids 5-12 years old, but younger children can have fun too. Perfect for the whole family! Activities will include creating with 3D pens, a cake-walk, building your own haunted mansion, and more. Costumes are welcome but not required. Come join the fun! For more information or to request an accommodation, please call the library at 828.526.3031. Hudson Library, 554 Main Street in Highlands.
Highlands PAC presents Great Art on Screen on Nov. 1.
- Highlands Performing Arts Center: Presents Great Art on Screen on Friday, November 1 at 5:30 p.m. in collaboration with The Bascom. Gauguin in Tahiti: Paradise Lost. Tracing the legendary life story of Paul Gauguin who left France for Tahiti, feverishly in search of deep immersions into lush nature, for feelings, visions and colors, ever purer and brighter. Audiences join this journey from Tahiti to American museums including New York’s Metropolitan Museum of Art, The Art Institute of Chicago, National Gallery of Art in DC, and Boston’s Museum of Fine Arts where Gauguin’s greatest masterpieces are now preserved. The option dinner following the screening will be at the Log Cabin. Please call the Log Cabin for reservations: 828.526.5777 (be sure to mention Great Art on Screen.) Tickets are available online: www.highlandspac.org or at the door. Highlands Performing Arts Center, 507 Chestnut Street, Highlands.
Highlands PAC presents 42nd Street on Nov. 2.
- Highlands Performing Arts Center: At 1 p.m. On Saturday, Nov. 2, By Experience will present musical theater’s 42nd Street, captured live from London’s West End. 42nd Street is the song and dance, American dream fable of Broadway. Featuring the iconic songs 42nd Street, We’re In The Money, Lullaby Of Broadway, Shuffle Off To Buffalo, Dames and I Only Have Eyes For You, this is a musical unlike any other. 42nd Street follows young Peggy Sawyer, fresh off the bus from small-town America and just another face in the chorus line on Broadway’s newest show. But when the leading lady gets injured, Peggy might just have the shot at stardom she’s always dreamed of… Tickets are available online: www.highlandspac.org or at the door. Highlands Performing Arts Center, 507 Chestnut Street, Highlands.