Over $100K invested back into the community
The Highlands Chamber of Commerce/Visit Highlands, NC recently announced its latest round of grants to support local nonprofit organizations.
During a presentation on June 9 (pictured above), representatives from eight Highlands-area non-profit organizations received grants totaling $101,785.
The funds will support special events or activities organized or hosted by the organizations, including:
- The Bascom for Program Marketing – $10,000
- Highlands Festivals for the Bear Shadow Music Festival – $50,000
- Highlands-Cashiers Chamber Music Festival – $7,500
- The Center for Life Enrichment for Porchfest – $8,785
- Friends of Founders Park for the Low Country Shrimp Boil – $1,500
- The Highlands Historical Society for the Dazzling Dahlia Festival – $7,500
- The Highlands Motoring Festival – $12,500
- The Rotary club of Highlands for the Twilight 5 K Run – $4,000
Each year, the Highlands Chamber of Commerce/Visit Highlands, NC supports local nonprofit organizations through its Tourism Grant Program and sponsorship programs. The program is funded by a portion of occupancy taxes collected from guests staying in Highlands’ accommodations.
A committee of volunteers headed by Highlands Chamber of Commerce/Visit Highlands, NC Board of Directors Member Charlotte Muir, along with staff, reviewed the grant applications and recommended approval.
Since July 1, 2021, the beginning of the current fiscal year, $255,521 has been invested back into the community through the grants program.
“It is an honor to be stewards of these funds that are invested back into our community,” said Kaye McHan, Chamber executive director. “As a non-profit organization ourselves, we understand and share the goal of making Highlands a great place to live, work and visit.”
For more information about the Highlands Chamber of Commerce/Visit Highlands, NC or its Tourism Grant Program, call 828.526.5841 or click HERE.
Photo by Luke Osteen
Article courtesy of Highlands Chamber of Commerce/Visit Highlands NC